A conviction on a gun charge in Idaho carries serious penalties. You have a right to bear arms, but prosecutors are often exceptionally aggressive in pursuing the most severe punishments in cases of alleged gun crimes. If you are facing firearms charges or other weapons charges in this state, you need the best gun charges defense lawyer Boise Idaho offers to protect your rights and build the most effective case for your defense.
Sawtooth Defense Lawyers in Boise, Idaho, have many years of experience in defending people against gun charges in the Idaho criminal courts.
Click to jump to the section:
- Violation of Concealed Weapon Laws
- Types of Weapons Charges in Idaho
- Punishments for Weapons Convictions in Idaho
- What To Do If You Are Arrested On A Weapons Charge
- What An Idaho Weapons Charges Lawyer Does For You
- How Can Sawtooth Defense Lawyers in Boise, ID, Help?
Violation of Concealed Weapon Laws
Although a license to carry a concealed weapon is required by Idaho law, that requirement is often applied or not applied based on the particular situation. For example, if a gun is found under a car seat during a DUI or drug arrest, the individual might be charged with carrying a concealed weapon too.
A conviction can carry very serious penalties. If you find yourself facing this kind of charge, you will need a criminal defense lawyer with the specialized skills to build the best possible case to defend your freedom. Your attorney must also be able to confirm all actions and documents to all rules and other legal constraints of the Idaho judiciary and work successfully within that system.
Types of Weapons Charges in Idaho
When you’re facing charges for a gun crime, your future is at stake. You cannot afford to wait to take action to protect yourself legally. Sawtooth Defense Lawyers defend clients on misdemeanor and felony gun charges in Idaho as well as any other types of weapons charges. These are some of the more common weapons crimes prosecuted in Idaho:
- Illegally discharging a gun
- Firearm possession while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Using a deadly weapon in committing a crime
- Carrying a concealed weapon without a concealed weapons license
- Exhibition of a deadly weapon
- Firearm possession at or near a school
- Brandishing a firearm
- Firearm possession by a convicted felon
- Armed robbery
- Firearm possession by a minor
- Illegally selling a firearm
Punishments for Weapons Convictions in Idaho
Being convicted on a weapons charge in Idaho can mean severe penalties:
- A misdemeanor weapons offense, like displaying a gun, carries up to 6 months of jail time.
- A felony firearm possession conviction carries a maximum of a 5-year prison sentence. If federal charges are also filed, the penalties for conviction can become extremely increased.
- Convicted felons cannot carry a gun in Idaho under any circumstances. Someone with a prior felony conviction who possesses or has custody or control of a gun is considered guilty of a new felony crime. Conviction carries a maximum sentence of 5 years in state prison and a fine of up to $5,000.
- Federal gun charges, such as committing a crime while in possession of a firearm, can enhance (increase) other charges and add to the severity of the sentence. For example, a misdemeanor may be escalated to a felony conviction. Another important point to remember is that a state gun license is not an accepted defense in a federal prosecution of a weapons charge.
What To Do If You Are Arrested On A Weapons Charge
If you have been charged with a weapons crime in Idaho, whether it’s a state or federal charge, you need to contact a Boise Idaho weapons charges defense lawyer as soon as possible. You need a state legal authority to guide you through the complexities of Idaho and/or Federal court systems, protect all your rights, negotiate to have your charges minimized, and work to build a successful case for your defense.
What An Idaho Weapons Charges Lawyer Does For You
You need to work with the best criminal defense attorney Idaho offers you. A highly experienced weapons crimes lawyer knows how to defend you effectively against evidence of assault, domestic violence, battery, manslaughter, or other charges when a weapon is allegedly involved.
Eye witnesses’ memories are not always reliable as the days pass and accounts often vary. A skilled criminal defense lawyer knows how to overcome this problem and will further help you:
- Dispute the prosecutor’s submitted evidence against you.
- Work to stop weapons charges from going to federal court.
- Challenge the prosecutorial value of the search and seizure that led to the weapon.
- Negotiate to have your charges dropped entirely or reduced.
- Fight to protect all your constitutional and state rights under the law.
- Stay out of jail and avoid having a criminal record for a weapons offense.
- Protect your future and your reputation.
How Can Sawtooth Defense Lawyers in Boise, ID, Help?
Sawtooth attorneys are highly experienced at defending people charged with gun crimes in Idaho and federal courts. Our gun charge lawyers will start working quickly to dismiss your charges entirely or significantly reduced. We will guide you through the court processes and fight to keep you out of jail and avoid having a criminal record of a weapons conviction.